Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

AWOLNATION's "Megalithic Symphony"

*A year has already flown by... Wow!

     Electronic rock band AWOLNATION impressed me at a SXSW Stubb’s showcase last year when they opened for Panic! At the Disco. Now, the band has enjoyed a great deal of success with the release of their debut album, Megalithic Symphony, exactly a year ago today. The album has produced the two surprisingly different singles, “Sail” and “Not Your Fault.” Listeners would be shocked to know both songs are coming from the same group. With many “indie” bands finding themselves at the top of the charts, AWOLNATION is an undiscovered gem that has the vocal talent, stage presence and unique sound to be a dominate force in the alternative rock scene.
     After a few album introductions, the project officially starts off with “Soul Wars.” The track is a fast-paced experience that quickly indicates to listeners exactly what they got themselves into. The song carries a rock vibe, with the lead singer giving a strong performance, at times sounding a bit psychotic. The band is asking listeners if they can get an Amen, I was giving it right back to them as I was listening to the impressive opener.
     The band thanks fans for listening for the first time or the last time on “People,” a track that carries a softer tone than the previous offering while singing that people were born to rage. The chorus has a “summertime, airy feel” to it and gives the audience something fresh and unique. The singer’s impressive vocals are still present, but they are able to give a new portrayal of who the band really is.
     The album continues with “Jump On My Shoulders,” a track that gives off a creepy vibe at the beginning, but transitions into a fun, pop sounding chorus, which happens to be the best characteristic about the song. I was not impressed with the verses, but once the chorus came up I could not help but sing along. I guess I would just classify the track as just an average addition.
     The energetic, scary vocals return for “Burn It Down.” The verses are sung at a fast-paced, reminds me of a classic 50s, swing dance song. While the verses and the songwriting deserve serious praise, the chorus was underwhelming and added nothing to the overall product. I commend the band for bringing something different to the table, but the song did not hit its mark.
     The guitar/hand clapping driven “Guilty Filthy Soul” is an inappropriate sing along track that has a beat I have heard somewhere else before… or I could just be remembering hearing this song live last year, not too sure. The track does not carry the full attitude and energy I have already come to expect from the band, but the song is a job well done. I feel they took many influences and shoved them into one four minute track.
     AWOLNATION advices fans to “never let your fear decide your fate” on “Kill Your Heroes.” The track is an amazing moment on the album, competes for my favorite song from the band every day. The chorus warns that everyone will die, but mixes it in with the fact that people love you more than you know. The only problem with the track is that I wish it would not end, it seemed too shamefully short.
     The album’s first single, “Sail,” is just as haunting on an actual recording as it was performed live. The song does not justify the sound of the rest of the track list though. The track has a gritty, dirty vibe to it and it may be the ultimate reason why I gravitated towards it. I got the horror movie tone when I first heard it and was reminded of the work from Korn and Marilyn Manson. I enjoy the dark undertones and that piano and la la la’s towards the end are killer.
     The beginning of “Wake Up” is a misleading hint at the direction the track may go towards. The choir-like vocals disappear and the band does what they do best. The chorus is a simple, almost jazz influenced experience as the lead singer’s signature vocals are layered on top. The result is a song that really had me torn. There were a few aspects I enjoyed, but I do not think the song came together fully.
     When I first heard “Not Your Fault” I was not even sure I was listening to the same band. The track shows just how much range and diversity the band can be packed into one debut record. I believe the song is a little more radio friendly than the first single and could possibly garner the interesting act a larger fan base. The song is a simply message to a loved one, a plea.
     The album closes out with “All I Need.” Again, the song begins with some choir-esque background vocals, but the lead singer takes over as he sings that the mirror disappoints him. If there was a ballad on the diverse album, then this track would come closest to it. The soft vocals combined with the impressive “gospel” production make the song sound as if it was lifted straight from a 80s musical.
     Megalithic Symphony is an album that is a completely different experience with every track that comes through the speakers. The band has a raw talent that keeps them from sounding bland and one-note throughout the entire effort. The lead singer gives convincing performances with well-written material that amp up the quality of every song. The album may not have the energy I saw when the band performed at SXSW last year, but any listener should find something to their liking here. From hardcore rock, to electronic and even traces of pop, this record has it all. The album receives an 85%.

Tracks to Hear: “Guilty Filthy Soul”, “Kill Your Heroes” and “Sail”

Awolnation - Kill Your Heroes


Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar